Acorn Squash Egg in a Hole
Whether you make these for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, they will be a favorite. A nutritious and tasty bite with protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats all rolled into one. Oh, did I mention, only 2 main ingredients? The rest you probably have in your kitchen. If not, use whatever combination of spices you’d like.
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 1 acorn squash, washed (you’ll be eating the skin)
- 5-6 eggs, depending on how many slices you have
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- cheese of choice, if desired
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Trim off both ends of squash. (For easier slicing, I microwave the whole squash for 3-4 minutes). Slice the squash crosswise into uniform slices, approximately 1/2″-1″ thick. Scoop or cut seeds out to make a hole in the center of each slice.
- Brush both sides of squash slices with olive oil and place on parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric and cumin. Save a small amount to sprinkle on eggs.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Squash should be tender when pricked with a fork.
- Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Crack an egg in the center of each slice of squash. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and additional spices. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until desired doneness. Less time if you prefer your eggs runny.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese, parsley or chopped green onion.