Beef Liver with Apples and Onions
Forgive me for loving liver so much! I know not everyone is a fan but my hope is that I will convert one person at a time. For this recipe, the apples add that touch of sweetness that some may need to break through that “I don’t like liver” mentality. And well, onions and liver just go hand in hand together.
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large Braeburn apples, cubed
- 1 lb. grass-fed beef livers (I get mine at the local farmer’s market), cut into 2×3″ pieces
- 1-2 Tbsp ghee
- 1-2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic grand reserve vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in saucepan. Add onions and cook on low-medium heat. Season with salt and pepper according to taste. Stir frequently and cook for 5-6 minutes or until onions begin to turn a golden brown.
- Add apples and cook just until tender.
- Transfer onion and apple mixture to a dish. Keep warm.
- Add remaining ghee to the same saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the beef liver and cook for approximately 3 minutes or until you see them browning around the edges. Turn liver pieces over and cook another 2 minutes. Be careful not to overcook or they will become tough and rubbery.
- Place liver on a plate and top with onions and apples. Yum!!