Beet Greens Pesto
Going to our local farmer’s market on a Saturday morning is one of my favorite things to do on the weekend. I’ll usually come home with a variety of delicious vegetables, fresh herbs, grass-fed meats, pastured eggs and fresh berries. If you have a weekend market near you, take full advantage of the fresh and organic produce while supporting your local farmers as well.
S0 anyway, back to the recipe. I usually save the leaves of beets to mix into salads and smoothies but wanted to try something different as well so I decided to try a beet green pesto. I’d never made pesto before so I looked up a few recipes online and did a little tweaking to come up with this one. I served it over some grass-fed grilled burgers but it would seriously be delicious on just about anything!
Note: I used both fresh parsley and cilantro. Fresh herbs have so many health benefits and add such wonderful flavor to dishes that I’ve been trying to incorporate them more often into my dishes.
- 8-10 larger beet leaves, stems removed
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- fresh parsley and cilantro (about 5 sprigs of each)
- salt to taste
- In a food processor, add beet leaves (tear into smaller pieces if necessary), walnuts, cheese, 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.
- Pulse until mixture is smooth. Add additional olive oil and pulse until desired consistency.
- Add parsley and cilantro and blend. Feel free to add amounts according to taste preference.
- Taste and add salt, if needed.