Are you having friends or family over or perhaps going to a party and you need to bring an appetizer? If you’re looking for something a little different and of course something you can feel good about eating, this beet hummus might just be the perfect choice.
You can make this hummus in about 15 minutes! Cut up some veggies ahead of time or buy pre-cut if you’re really short on time. Pull out a platter, arrange some colorful veggies and maybe some quality cheese and crackers on it. Place a bowl of this vibrant beet hummus in the middle and you have a kaleidoscope of colors that will take center stage on any table!
- 13 oz can chickpeas, drained (I actually found some in a carton…no BPA concerns)
- 1 cup cooked beets (I find them in the freezer section at Trader Joe’s)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 3 Tbsp EVOO
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon (about 2 tsp)
- 2+ Tbsp water (for thinning)
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½-¾ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- Add all ingredients to a food processor. If you’re using frozen beets, make sure they are thawed out.
- Blend on high for 1 minute. If too thick, add an additional amount of water (1 Tbsp at a time)
- Continue to blend until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasonings or add more lemon juice to your likings.
- Best if chilled before serving.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Enjoy with some fresh veggies, healthy crackers, or on top of your favorite salad.