This recipe adds a little twist to your typical energy balls. It has both coconut butter and tahini, two types of seeds, matcha and protein powder to boot. If you’re not familiar with matcha powder, it is green tea leaves ground into a concentrated powder, making it packed with antioxidants. Add that along with the protein, healthy fats (saturated as well as omega 3’s) and fiber, and you’ve got yourself some banging little bites full of health benefits!
Ingredients (makes 24 balls)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons protein powder
- 4-5 dates, pitt removed
- 3 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 1-2 teaspoons matcha powder (preferably ceremonial and organic)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons of coconut milk (for adjusting thickness)
- In a food processor, add dates, coconut butter, tahini and shredded coconut. Blend or pulse until well combined. Add remaining ingredients except coconut milk. Continue to blend until mixture forms a thick paste and can be formed into balls.
- If mixture is too thick, add small amounts of coconut milk during the blending. If mixture is too thin, add more almond flour or protein powder.
- Scoop out portion sizes (I use a small scooper) and arrange on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place in the freezer or refrigerator to firm up. Once firm, they can be transferred into a storage container.
- For best results, store in freezer or refrigerator. If storing in freezer, allow to thaw about 5 minutes before enjoying.