Cabbage and Apple Slaw
Here’s a quick and easy side dish that can be put together in no time. This cabbage slaw recipe is not your “typical” cole slaw. It has that touch of sweetness from the apples which adds extra crunch and freshness! My husband, who is not a big cole slaw fan, loved this. Also, as a little side note, the vibrant colors are so pretty and will make any plate come to life!
- 9 oz bag shredded cabbage (some mixes have carrots added to them but I like to add extra)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 large or 2 small apples (your choice – I used Granny Smith and Pink Lady)
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup approved mayo
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp ACV
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together mayo, EVOO, ACV, mustard, honey, all the zest and juice of ½ lime, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the bag of cabbage. Use a kitchen scissors to chop through and cut any pieces that are too big.
- Add carrots and onions. Mix to combine.
- Add diced apples to a separate bowl and squeeze the juice of the other half of the lime over the top. Toss to coat apples. This will keep them from turning brown. Add the apples to the cabbage and toss everything together.
- Pour the slaw dressing over the top and gently mix until evenly distributed.
- Add poppy seeds, if desired.
- Chill for 1 hour.