What says summer better than a light and fresh lemon vinaigrette salad? One with blueberries it…YUM!! The vinaigrette is easy to prepare ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to put your salad together. Just pour over the top and toss. This would also be delicious with dried cranberries in place of the blueberries but tis the season to use those fresh berries. Also, the pecans could be swapped out for walnuts or almonds, if you’d prefer.
To make the vinaigrette, I used an immersion blender. These are really handy gadgets for making dressings/vinaigrettes but I realize not everyone has one. A blender or food processor will work just fine.
- 1 – 10 oz package shaved Brussel sprouts
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- ¾-1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese (reserve a small amount for sprinkling on top)
- ½-1 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup hemp seeds (optional)
Lemon Basil Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 Tbsp Primal mayo
- 1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
- ½ lemon, juiced (2 Tbsp)
- 1 tsp jarred minced garlic (or garlic powder)
- 5 sprigs of fresh basil (more or less based on preference)
- 1-2 tsp birch xylitol sweetener or honey (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the vinaigrette ingredients in a small blender. Pulse until basil is chopped and vinaigrette is smooth and creamy.
- Add all the salad ingredients to a large salad bowl. Toss together.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the top and mix just until the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Top with the reserved feta cheese and a few extra blueberries for a pretty presentation.