I posted a recipe similar to this a while back and it has become somewhat of a family favorite so I decided to do a revamp. This time around I amped up the flavors in the sauce and added sliced red onions and bacon. Just a few tweaks took this average casserole and transformed it into an amazing one! (There’s just something about bacon that makes everything taste better!!)
- 1-2 Tbsp avocado oil, for roasting vegetables
- 3-4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into larger cubes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 cups cooked rotisserie chicken, cut into chunks or shredded
- 4-6 slices of uncooked bacon, cut into pieces (I used Applegate Organics Uncured bacon)
- 1-1½ cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese (or whatever cheese you have on hand)
- 3-4 cups fresh spinach, torn into larger pieces (optional)
- ½-¾ cup Primal mayo (or other approved mayo)
- 1/4-1/3 cup hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp spicy brown or dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp raw honey (optional)
- 1-1½ tsp oregano
- 1-1½ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper. Place the sweet potatoes and red onion onto the pan. Drizzle with the avocado oil, toss together and season with salt, pepper and half of the oregano, garlic powder and paprika.
- Roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, tossing halfway through the cooking time. (It is not necessarily for these to be completely tender as they will go in the oven a second time.)
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, hot sauce, mustard, honey and remainder of the spices. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cut-up chicken, roasted sweet potatoes and onions, spinach and half of the shredded cheese.
- Pour the prepared buffalo sauce over the top and gently stir. Place into a greased 9×13 casserole dish.
- Distribute the bacon pieces over the top and sprinkle the remaining cheese over entire casserole.
- If desired, shake some smoked paprika over the cheese for a touch of color.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until bubbling and warmed completely through.