Easy Mexican Frittata
Oh, the incredible, edible egg! They are so versatile, easy and nutritious. Here is a one pan meal that could be served for dinner and breakfast alike. A cast iron skillet works really well but if you don’t have one, no worries, just make sure your pan is oven safe. I used ground beef but ground turkey or pork would also be delicious.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 lb grass-fed or organic ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped (or equivalent jarred garlic)
- 10-12 eggs
- 1/2-3/4 cup salsa (no sugar added)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika (I used a smoked paprika)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- cherry tomatoes or whole tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add eggs, salsa and a dash of salt and pepper. Whisk together and set aside.
- Heat the cast iron skillet (oven-safe skillet) over medium heat. Add ground beef. Break apart with spoon as it begins to cook.
- When beef is partially browned, add onions, pepper, garlic and all spices. Mix together and allow meat to brown completely.
- Briefly remove from burner and turn heat to low. Spread and flatten meat out evenly in the pan and pour egg mixture over the top. Return to heat and allow to cook on stovetop for 8-10 minutes.
- Top with sliced tomatoes and transfer pan to the oven for 25-30 minutes. Check for doneness by gently inserting a knife in the middle to make sure eggs are cooked all the way through.
- Garnish with avocados.