Do you feel as though you’re missing out on that beloved stack of pancakes? That comfort breakfast that you use to occasionally enjoy before deciding to take your health seriously and go grain-free? If so, this recipe is your answer. These pancakes are light and fluffy and taste like the ones you remember. Just kidding…they taste even better and they won’t leave you feeling like you’re in a carb coma!
I used a pre-packaged Paleo flour. For convenience purposes, this is a quick option. You can also make your own and store it like you would your other flours. Paleo flour is a combination of 4 grain-free flours: almond flour, arrowroot flour, coconut flour and tapioca flour. If you google the recipe, you will find slightly varying amounts of each, but I honestly think any of them will work. Here’s one that I’ve used:
- 1½ cups almond flour (sifted)
- 1 cup arrowroot flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
Ingredients: (makes 10-12 pancakes)
- 1-1½ cup Paleo flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk from the can (could also use almond milk though they may not be as fluffy)
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp himalayan salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar substitute (optional)
- ¼-½ cup water
- Add all the dry ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Stir together and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the eggs, applesauce and coconut milk and whisk together.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until incorporated. You do not want to over-mix.
- Let the batter rest while warming a skillet with approved oil (butter or spray) over medium heat. If the batter appears too thick when you’re ready to start, mix in a small amounts of water to achieve desired consistency. Too much and you will have runny batter and flat pancakes.
- Using a ¼ measuring cup, pour batter into the hot skillet and spread batter out with the back of a spoon, if necessary. Flip when lightly browned or bubbles start to form.
- Serve your stack drizzled with maple syrup or some berries of choice. Enjoy!!