Pickled Red Onions
I love having a jar or two of pickled red onions in my refrigerator. A lovely pink condiment that will add extra crunch and tanginess to any salad, burger or taco! Be creative and change up the spices to suit your fancy.
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup ACV
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- ½-1 tbsp xylitol or other sugar substitute (swerve, erythritol)
- 1 tsp oregano
- Peel and thinly slice the onion. I prefer half moon slices but you could also slice into full rings.
- Add onion, garlic, peppercorns and oregano to a mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegars, water, salt and sweetener to a light boil over medium heat.
- Pour hot liquid over the onions and stir.
- Allow to sit on the counter for about 1 hour. Gently stir several times throughout the hour.
- Transfer onions to a glass jar (I used two smaller jars).
- Store in the refrigerator. They will keep nicely for several weeks.