Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
Are you someone who has never been a big fan of Brussel sprouts? Well, if you’ve never tried roasted Brussel sprouts, this recipe is a game changer. Bacon or no bacon, Brussel sprouts truly shine when they are roasted! If you are going the bacon route, look for a quality brand. Choose one that is free of antibiotics as well as sugar, gluten, and other additives. (I use Pederson’s). Also, I added the fresh parmesan cheese as optional. I strongly encourage FRESH! It tastes soooo much better and a little goes a long way in the flavor department. A chunk of parmesan will last weeks in your refrigerator so you don’t have to worry about waste.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 lb Brussel sprouts, washed and trimmed (if very large in size, cut in half) For a time saver, you can purchase pre-trimmed Brussel sprouts or use frozen.
- 1/2 red onion, cut into wedges
- 4-5 slices of bacon, cut into small strips
- 2 garlic cloves (1 teaspoon prepared chopped garlic)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil (if you are not using bacon, you will need additional oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss the Brussel sprouts, onion, avocado oil, garlic and balsamic vinegar in a mixing bowl.
- Spread on a large sheet pan lined with parchment paper or foil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top it off with the bacon strips.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stir and roast for an additional 10 minutes or until Brussel sprouts are browned.
- If desired, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.