Sausage with Cabbage Slaw and Apples
Sausage, cabbage and onions together in a meal is the epitome of your traditional hearty meal. But to take this dish to the next level and add another layer of flavor, I like to throw some apples in the mix! What I also love about this dish is that the ingredients cook very quickly so your meal comes together in no time! Oh, and I would be remiss to mention that it is very economical and prepared in one skillet for easy clean up!
As should always be the case, have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go for quick and easy assembly. You may even have most of these ingredients on hand. I always keep several packs of the pre-cooked sausage in my freezer because they are a great “go to” in a pinch.
- 5 precooked sausage links (I used an apple chicken variety)
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 9 oz bad of cabbage slaw
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large apple, diced (a harder variety holds up better to the heat)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dijon or spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2-3 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- In a cast iron skillet, add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil and heat on medium heat.
- Add the sausage links and cook until browned, turning several times so all sides are a golden brown.
- Remove sausages from the pan, place on a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add additional oil, if needed. When oil is heated through, add onions, red pepper, cabbage slaw, ACV, mustard, maple syrup and spices. (I like to whisk the ACV, mustard, maple syrup and spices together in a small bowl before adding.)
- Sauté together, stirring continuously, until vegetables cook down and are tender (about 3 minutes).
- Turn heat down to medium and add the apples. Continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add sausage back into the pan.
- Enjoy with some fresh greens!