Shrimp Egg Roll in a Bowl
Today is Ash Wednesday so when I was deciding what to make for dinner the night before, I had pulled out a bag of frozen shrimp that I had stocked up on. I was originally thinking a shrimp jambalaya but was a little short on time. I also had a bag of broccoli slaw that needed to be used so I shifted gears and decided to put this shrimp egg roll in a bowl together. I was not disappointed!
This recipe comes together very quickly which is great because you can have a meal ready to eat in a about 30 minutes. It also means that you need to have all your ingredients lined up and ready to go. This of course is something that you should make a practice of doing for all your meals. It makes cooking so much easier and more efficient!
- 16 oz bag of frozen shrimp, thawed and well drained (I used tail off)
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped (heaping ½ cup)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced (jarred garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 14 oz bag of pre-packaged broccoli slaw or cole slaw mix
- 3-4 Tbsp coconut aminos (or gluten-free soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2-1 Tbsp sriracha
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp arrowroot flour, for thickening (frozen shrimp can make it watery)
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- In a bowl or large mixing cup, whisk together coconut aminos, vinegar, tahini, sriracha, ginger and arrowroot flour. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, add sesame oil and heat on medium-high until hot. Add onions and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and shrimp. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. It’s important not to overcook or the shrimp will get rubbery.
- Add cole slaw mix and sauce ingredients (if there looks to be too much sauce for your dish, add less).
- Stir to combine ingredients. Sauté until Cole slaw is tender.
- Dish up and top with sesame seeds before serving.