Slow Cooker Lamb Stew
Stew is one of those comfort meals that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I have very vivid memories of my Mom making it in a pressure cooker. For my version of stew, I used a lamb stew meat but you could just as well use beef. Also, I decided to add a browning step and I coated the meat with some arrowroot flour. This will help to thicken the sauce during cooking but at the same time is totally optional. If you are short on time, just add your meat as is.
As usual, swap out or add any vegetables that suit your fancy. Green beans, peppers, mushrooms and sweet potatoes would all be great options! I added kale at the end of the cooking time as well. You can never have too many vegetables so take every opportunity you can to add all those extra vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to your dishes!
Note: Depending on the amount of stew meat you use, I provided an amount range for several of the ingredients.
- 1½-2 lbs free range lamb stew meat (or beef)
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot flour (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 2-3 large carrots, cut into 1″ pieces (or baby carrots)
- 2-3 stalks of celery, cut into 1″ pieces
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped (or 2 tsp jarred minced garlic)
- 1 cup frozen peas (add in the last 30 minutes of cooking
- 1-1½ cups organic beef broth
- 2 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1-2 Tbsp ACV
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 – 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup of frozen kale or spinach (optional)
- Set the crock pot on the high setting and add coconut oil. Place stew meat in a mixing bowl and toss with the arrowroot flour to coat. When oil is hot, add meat and allow to brown for about 1 hour. (This step is optional.)
- Add all the vegetables on top of the meat.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine beef broth, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, mustard, ACV, coconut aminos, and spices. Whisk together and pour over meat and vegetables. Gently stir all ingredients together.
- Set slow cooker to low setting and cook for 3-4 hours.
- Add frozen peas and kale (optional) 30 minutes prior to end of cooking time.
- If desired, serve over cauliflower rice.