Do you have a pile of zucchini staring at you that you’re not quite sure what to do with? Whether it’s from your garden, the farmer’s market or the grocery store (because it was inexpensive and you had all these great intentions)? Well here’s one solution…fritters! These are a perfect way to take advantage of the abundance of zucchini. They are savory, easy and tasty. Serve for dinner or leftovers for breakfast!
Note: Amp up the spices if you’d like or add your own variety.
- 3 medium sized zucchini (grated) – after zucchini is drained it will be around 2 cups
- ½-1 tsp himalayan salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼-½ cup almond flour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- preferred oil for frying
- Shred zucchini using a box shredder and place in a colander. Sprinkle ½-1 tsp salt over the zucchini, gently toss and place the colander in the sink. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes so the zucchini can sweat and drain.
- Squeeze as much excess liquid out of the zucchini. This can be done by using a cheesecloth or your hands. I prefer to get in there with my hands. Form 3 large balls and squeeze each one individually. I do this several times and really squeeze hard!
- Place zucchini in a large bowl. Add beaten eggs, almond flour (start with ¼ cup), garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Mix to combine. If mixture still seems to watery, add the rest of the almond flour.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add preferred oil.
- When pan is hot, add ¼ cup portions of zucchini mixture to pan and flatten slightly.
- Cook the fritters for about 3-5 minutes or until golden or dark brown (depending on preference). Flip the fritters when ready and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve as is or with your favorite sauce.